One of the most attractive qualities a person can have is pearly white teeth. Clean teeth are an excellent indicator of good hygiene and can go a long way; and thankfully for this natural remedy, white teeth are no longer hard to achieve.
White teeth are awesome. They demonstrate cleanliness, and nothing is better than a good flashy smile. However getting there isn’t as easy as you might think. There is whitening toothpaste that does work a little, but they are composed of chemicals that can break don your enamel and increase your risk for tooth decay. You can also go get your teeth bleached and whitened by a dental hygienist, but it is crazy expensive.Dentists also use harmful chemicals such as fluoride, which is a dangerous neurotoxin.
Not only does coconut oil make your teeth whiter, it also attacks all the harmful bacteria in your mouth. This is because coconut oil has a powerful ingredient called Lauric Acid. One study tested over 30 fatty acids and compared their abilities to fight bacteria – coconut oil beat them all. It also reduces plaque. In one study, oil pulling with coconut oil significantly decreased plaque buildup and signs of gingivitis in 60 participants with plaque-induced gum disease.
If you’re looking to whiten your teeth using coconut oil you are in luck. Using coconut oil for oral hygiene is easy, quick, and inexpensive. All you have to do is follow this recipe.
- About 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 small packets of stevia powder
- 15-20 drops of peppermint or cinnamon essential oil
- 10 drops myrrh extract (optional)
- Melt or slightly soften coconut oil.
- Mix in other ingredients and stir well. If using semi-hard coconut oil, use a fork, if not, use a spoon. If you are using completely melted coconut oil, you will need to stir several times while the mixture cools to keep the baking soda incorporated.
- Put mixture into small glass jar (I make different ones for each family member)
- Let cool completely.
- To use: dip a toothbrush in and scrape small amount onto bristles. Could also use a small spoon to put on a toothbrush.